One of my favorite childhood memories is baking with my grandma. She was always so patient with me as we worked together in the kitchen. She allowed me to measure out the ingredients and combine them while she kept a watchful eye on the process.
My absolute favorite recipe was chocolate chip cookies. Mmm! The smell wafting through the kitchen while they were baking in the oven was heavenly.
I remember waiting to take the cookies out of the oven, it felt like an eternity! But then came that sweet moment when those freshly baked cookies could be enjoyed with a cold glass of milk. Oh my! My mouth is watering just remembering back to those cookies made with my grandma.
But that was then, and this is now.
We have a better understanding of what some foods can do to our overall digestive system and well-being. We have learned that gluten and white sugar wreak havoc on our blood sugar and digestive tract. Let’s not forget the repercussions of that glass of cow’s milk to wash the cookies down.
Well, don’t despair… I have just the recipe to put those worries behind you:
Vegan Gluten-Free Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Thanks to this delicious cookie recipe, I am able to savor the memory of baking chocolate chip cookies with my grandma in a more healthy way.
These vegan-friendly cookies are surprisingly soft, moist, and gooey without the use of eggs, gluten, or refined white sugar. And the best part (apart from their taste!) is they are super easy to make.
Your friends and family will be surprised that they're vegan and gluten free!
Vegan Gluten-Free Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 3 cups almond flour, I use Kirkland brand from Costco
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, I use pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips, I use the Enjoy Life brand
- In a bowl, thoroughly combine all the dry ingredients except chocolate chips (almond flour, cornstarch, baking soda, sea salt). Make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, stir all ingredients together well.
- Make sure you mix them well until they create a cookie dough-like texture.
- Then add in the 1/3 cup of chocolate chips, mixing thoroughly.
- Next, preheat oven to 350*F and prepare your baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- For each cookie, scoop dough using a tablespoon. Place dough on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Do not bake longer or the cookies will be hard.
- Remove your vegan chocolate chip cookies from the oven and cool for two minutes. Using a spatula, move the cookies to cooling racks. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Pour yourself a glass of plant-based milk. Sit and relax with your glass of milk and a cookie or two!
- When the cookies are cooled, store in an air-tight container.
Note: The recipe makes about 36 small cookies. Plenty to share with enough to keep for yourself!
PRO TIP: Cookies harden quickly, so you can place a piece of bread in with the cookies to keep them soft. If the cookies start to become too soft, remove the bread from the container.
Om Mani Padme Hum
(Praise to the jewel in the Lotus)
Vickey Roa is a retired teacher living with her husband and two dogs. When she isn’t at the beach, she likes to experiment with new recipes using her husband as a guinea pig.